Just 45 minites Drive from hikkaduwa..
Whale Watching Mirissa, Sri Lanka
Whale and dolphin watching in Mirissa is one of the most exciting water activities you can do in Sri Lanka during your holiday. Mirissa is the best place to start your whale and dolphin watching tour in Sri Lanka.
In warm Indian ocean you can see varity of whales and Sometimes you can see turtles and various fish species. Whale watching season starts in November and ends in April. Ocean is warm and calm during these months. May - October is off season although whales can be spotted as well but ocean can be rough.
We follow international whale watching rules and protect whales during the whale watching:
- we don't go too close to the whales (good distance for taking pictures, safe distance for whales)
- we don´t cross whale´s course
- we reduce the boat speed to minimize the noise when we approach the whales
- we stop the engines if whales and dolphins come close to our boat
- our passengers are not allowed to go under the water to take picture of whales, swim with them and touch them
- we don't throw out any garbage into the ocean
With the whale watching season in Mirissa being in full swing and many local and foreign tourists gathering to the Mirissa harbor, The Sri Lankan Coast Guards had increased their vigilance in monitoring the implementation of Sea Mammals Observation, Regulation and Control Regulations.
The coast guards also make sure that the boat operators; crew and the tourists abide the safety precautions and regulations before and during their tour of observation.